Well, it’s finally here! Shigeru Miyamoto has answered everyone’s Mario related questions as part of a video promo for Super Mario Maker, including such things as whether SMB 3 was a play or who Bowser Jr’s mother is in the series! Here’s the video, from Nintendo’s Youtube channel:
It’s pretty self explanatory (and hilarious) in its own right, but we’ll post a summary of each point regardless, along with some of our personal thoughts on each answer given by Miyamoto:
Is Mario named after former Nintendo of America warehouse landlord Mario Segale?
*Shigeru Miyamoto nods*
Well, that confirms that then. Not like anyone was really doubting the story, but it’s now triple confirmed.
Is the Mario shown on the original Super Mario Bros packaging about to lose a life?
No apparently. Of course, you should keep in mind two things here:
1. He’s in front of the blocks, not underneath them. The lava is probably in the background.
Above: The US box art. Mario is in front of the wall, nor falling to his doom.
2. Super Mario Bros 1 had different box art in Japan.
Above: Super Mario Bros 1’s Japanese box art.
Either way, Mario is not about to lose a life on either box.
Would you let Dr Mario operate on you?
*Shigeru Miyamoto makes ‘Oh hell no’ motion*
Above: You can see the fear in his face… Or maybe the arm motions.
Does anyone not agree with him here? Dr Mario does not look like he has a genuine medical license.
Above: Not a real doctor. Don’t trust him with your personal health.
Was Super Mario Bros 3 all just a performance?
In case you’re wondering, this stems from an observation made years ago that the game opens with a curtain rising and various parts of the levels seem to be hung from the walls or ceiling rather than being ‘real’ places. You can find it here:
But regardless of its origin, it’s true. Miyamoto nods and confirms Super Mario Bros 3 was all just a play.
When Bob-ombs Perish, do they turn into Boos?
No apparently. Whether this means bob-ombs don’t die, they simply become a different type of ghost or that boos are just another species… is never really elaborated on.
Do you know who Bowser Jr’s mother is?
*Shigeru Miyamoto nods and points to himself*
Above: The moment that left many Mario fans utterly horrified.
Okay, we DID NOT need that horrible mental image. Worse yet, we bet anything that somewhere, some desperate fan fic writer is working on some sort of Miyamoto X Bowser relationship fic. That’s something that none of us here at Gaming Reinvented look forward to reading.
Above: Bowser + Miyamoto = Bowser Jr?
Then again… at least it’s not fan art. Pictures of Miyamoto and Bowser being intimate is not exactly something anyone has ever wanted to see.
Does Mario break blocks with his first?
Yes again, according to Mr Miyamoto. He even makes the same pose as Mario!
Above: Miyamoto goes to break an imaginary brick block
Are any of your courses featured in Super Mario Maker?
And finally, Shigeru Miyamoto says that no, he has no courses featured in Super Mario Maker.
Weird? Yes to some degree. You’d think the guy behind Mario and much of the series in general would have made some of the courses featured on the disc by default. But no, apparently there are no courses by Miyamoto featured there.
Ah well, he’ll supposedly be making some courses with the tool later on, so that’s something to look forward to.
So that’s the Mario myths answered apparently. Not sure where exactly the myths came from (did Nintendo put out a call for questions on Twitter or something), but Mr Miyamoto has answered them none the less.
What did you think of Miyamoto’s question answering? Did you really want to know that Mr Miyamoto was apparently Bowser Jr’s mother?
Take this with a pinch of salt, since no sites are specifically named in the original Tweets or messages about it, but it seems an interesting set of allegations have been made about corruption and the review copies some video game sites receive.
What kind of corruption? Well, how about flogging the things on eBay before the game’s release date? Or companies trying to sabotage smaller sites by convincing PR firms to delay or ‘run out’ of review copies to stop them getting early information. Either way, here’s the full set of corruption allegations, by someone called Chihiro Onitsuka on Twitter:
300K hits? Is that hits, visitors or page views? Because 300K hits is nothing. 300K page views is slightly better, and 300K visitors is actually impressive.
Well, every site I use is probably blacklisted then. As is this site, though we arguably blacklisted ourselves back we were a 3DS specific site. We pretty much told every Youtube network and gaming company (Nintendo included) that we weren’t interested in ‘agreements’ or deals and that they should sod off.
Not surprising, unfortunately. Ever wonder why IGN and Gamespot get games so far before everyone else?
Okay, this annoys the hell out of me personally. If anyone can get evidence, can we sue them for anti competitive practices?
I think most people already knew this. Some of this also ends up on eBay.
On the other hand… perhaps independent sites could take advantage of this. All we need are a few corrupt journalists willing to flog review copies, and we’re in business!
In other words, don’t believe all the ‘hardware issue’ stories you read, some are made up for cheap hits.
*Drops old 3DS out of third story window*
See? The console has a hardware fault!
Wonder where all those early copies of games on torrent sites come from? Reviewers on large gaming sites apparently. Wonder what Nintendo would think of this? Especially if Super Mario Maker somehow ends up on a torrent tracker…
So those are the allegations. Are they true? Probably. In fact, someone at a certain subreddit confirmed many of them in a comment on the article:
Journalism is Dead Discussion – Reddit
Either way, it seems like corruption in this industry is even worse than we thought, and some journalists are outright abusing their positions to get in good with video game pirates and thieves.
What do you think of these interesting ‘allegations’ about video game journalism and the industry?
Chihirodev’s Allegations – Storify
Or in simple terms, Shigeru Miyamoto reveals everything about ‘Mario canon’, including who Bowser Jr’s mother is and various other things the Mario fanbase have been wondering for a couple of decades. Nintendo actually released an amusing trailer announcing this:
So yeah, what’s going to be revealed? Other than the identity of Bowser Jr’s mother (is is Clawdia Koopa like the Official Nintendo Magazine stated in about 1996?), that’s a good question. Maybe it’ll include stuff like ‘why Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach in the first place’. Or what those ‘hell valley trees’ from Super Mario Galaxy 2 are supposed to be. Or how exactly the Koopalings are related to Bowser and Bowser Jr, given the recent games’ refusal to say they’re the former’s children.
But what do you think? Are you a bit excited by the Mario ‘myths’ being resolved tomorrow, on the 10th of September?
Well, this is a bit of a surprise for Pikmin fans! Shigeru Miyamoto himself has confirmed to Eurogamer that Pikmin 4 is in development for an unknown console and is actually close to completion!
Here’s his quote about the game and its status, as per the original interview:
It’s actually very close to completion. Pikmin teams are always working on the next one. We can confirm that Pikmin 4 is in development but that is all we can confirm at present.
So if you liked Pikmin 3, or have been wanting to see more adventures involving Captain Olimar and Pikmin, you should be happy to know that a new game is in development. It may even be a Nintendo NX game, which should make things a bit more interesting!
What do you think about the idea of Pikmin 4 and the confirmation that it’s in development?
Nintendo is Busy Developing Pikmin 4 and its Close to Completion – My Nintendo News
When it comes to rumours about the Nintendo NX, they are pretty much as common as can be. With no information known about the system and Nintendo’s plans except the code name and the only game potentially confirmed it being a single Dragon Quest title, speculation has gone into overdrive. You’ve got talk of ‘integrated’ systems acting as a home console and handheld. Talk of a cartridge based system inspired by a recent Nintendo patent. Theories that The Legend of Zelda U has been made into an NX game because the Wii U is failing. It’s all there, and it’s not getting any less common.
Above: Just one example.
But just earlier today, it seems we had a very interesting rumour about the Nintendo NX posted by an Italian website called Nintendon. What’s even stranger; this set of details actually seems half plausible! As translated from the article by Neoxon on Reddit:
- He’s under strict NDA with Nintendo Japan
- Informations are from march 2015, with some updates from june-july
- He received a bunch of patents (some of them are publics now), info about what Nintendo is planning and a list of games potentially in development (some of them may or may not have been cancelled), third parties included
- NX is a platform, not tied with a single device
- Wii U is still in the picture thanks to good software results for games like Splatoon, will still be the main home console in 2016
- 3DS is a bit old, they’re planning of replacing it. Some games will still come out on it, but big projects are being moved on portable NX
- With NX, Nintendo wants to create a platform where they can develop software for multiple devices with ease, from the home console to the portable to smartphone and tablets. They’ll have a big catalogue available for multiple platforms, with cross buy, cross saves and cross play, similar to what Microsoft is doing with Xbox One and PC thanks to Windows 10 (that allows to play many Xbox games on PC, which is also getting a bunch of ports from Xbone). Each platform will still have exclusive games
- NNID is tied to the single device, but it will allow to share details between platforms, like friend list, contents, local coop games, etc. Thanks to the new membership program (the successor of Club Nintendo), we’ll benefit from the new Nintendo policies in terms of rewards
- They’ll show the portable in spring 2016, will be out for the end of the year or spring 2017 max. Specs will be higher than PS Vita but nothing mindblowing, screen resolution should be 540p, considering 720p if costs go down. BC with 3DS was problematic
- Wii U successor will not have an optical drive, which will be optional. It will sync with the portable (not obligatory). Specs won’t be super high, but close to PS4/X1 (doesn’t know how much, like with the portable this is still subject to change anyway). Cross games will look better on the home
- Nintendo is focusing a lot on the anti-piracy system
- Big focus on the OS as well. They hired people that worked for Google on Android, the guys who worked on the Gamecube OS and Wii U browser are there too. Optimized versions of the same OS for every NX platform (think, again, W10), each with its set of specific functions. Updates will come out at the same time, they’re focusing on making the OS blazing fast on every platform
- The home console can connect with the portable to send to it its own version of the games you buy, will use the same tech as the Wii U-Wii U Gamepad streaming to do that, or the internet connection
- The home will have bc with the Wii U. Gamepad should be compatible as a controller, considering selling it standalone. Can connect with the portable for offtv and bc. WiiMote compatibility is being considered too. As for support, since the new home won’t have an optical drive, they’re considering an external one. Also being considered NNID/eShop bc for titles bought on the eShop. Seems they’re considering digital games sharing too, but this bit is not perfectly clear
- The portable will have its own internal memory, which will be expandable
- There will be a complete overhaul of online infrastructures, but Nintendo is determined to hold successful operations as Miiverse, extending it even further and making it a central hub for communications by developers and a meeting place for players. It will be even more interactive with the ability to upload videos and screenshots in an integrated system and not dependent on the game
- Voice chat and interactions between users will be revisited too, much will depend on the users age though, to protect the minors
- The home will be out 6-12 months after the portable, creating the “NX system” that will allow Nintendo to better use their resources in games development
- They approached third parties during E3. Capcom, Square-Enix, Ubisoft and Electronic Arts already have devkits. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, F-Zero and Metroid are in development, doesn’t know if these are main episodes or spin offs. Zelda is currently a Wii U only title due to high development costs, but they can reconsider to have another big game at NX launch
- Prices will be low, 200-300€ (for the home?), considering a bundle with both for no more than 500€
- Many of these things will be discussed in future Nintendo Directs, which will have a different host in every market if Nintendo can’t find a new CEO by october
- A new 3D Mario will be shown, along with a new Zelda trailer. Retro moved their project on NX, will not be unveiled before 10-18 months
- They’ll talk about a new “Club Nintendo”, which will be in full function with NX
- Considering making agreements with phone carriers in order to better manage applications like Miiverse, Club Nintendo and the ability to purchase software by phone. Some of these will be out by March 2016
- Is everything set yet? Yes, but with Nintendo you’ll never know. If he has updates he will share them with us.
As you can see, it’s not really that surprising, is it? You’ve got a few mentions of games being compatible between both systems, you’ve got fairly plausible release dates for a 3DS and Wii U successor, a bit about the future of Nintendo Directs… Given that most rumours tend to be all over the top like ‘Nintendo is embracing virtual reality with 3D realistic Zelda game confirmed for 2016’, the stuff mentioned above seems fairly plausible, at least at first glance.
Above: It also doesn’t claim Zelda U is now an NX game, which is refreshing.
But hey, there’s always a good chance it’s fake. I mean, Italian leaks have never been accurate in the past when it comes to Nintendo games, and this site finding someone willing to break the most important NDA of their career is somewhat unlikely at best. Would they really give all this information out to every random Tom, Dick and Harry on the internet? Heck, would they even still have a job at Nintendo afterwards?
Given that Mr Pranger was fired for giving an interview to a gaming podcast and saying a bit about the company culture… well, giving the company’s entire next gen plans out to random people on the internet is probably the employment equivalent of signing your own death warrant.
But what do you think? Any chance this rumour might be accurate? Or is it as inaccurate as the many others people have posted about the NX in the past?
Nintendo NX Speculations – Nintendon.it