Well, it happened again. Tears of the Kingdom got another update, with more glitch fixes and ‘stability’ improvements.
And this one is even more of a mixed bag than usual. Why? Because in addition to patching various tricks beloved by speedrunners, it also patched a few terrible bugs too.
Like say, the flickering map glitch we covered a while ago. That seizure inducing trick somehow survived all the way up to 1.2.0 without being caught by Nintendo, but its time is thankfully over. The glitch is gone, and those with conditions like epilepsy can use the map and stamps without worrying about their health.
Yet at the same time, the speedrun glitches patched out make it questionable to update. Do you want to lose quick smuggling? The easy mid air dupe for cloning items? Various tricks to get things like Fuse Entanglement effects with Like Likes?
If not, then you can’t update. 1.2.1 just removes those tricks outright, and sets the community back months as a result.
So yeah, it’s a mixed bag this time. Some fixes are worthwhile changes that we’d usually recommend updating for, and some are just issues that make the game worse. Regardless, you can check out the official list of changes on Nintendo’s website or in the list below…
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the screen to flicker intensely when large amounts of stamps were placed on the Map.
- Fixed an issue that prevented players from obtaining the contents of treasure chests attached to Flux Constructs when the treasure chests vanished as a result of the Flux Construct’s attacks.
- If the treasure chest vanished, reloading the save data will either restore the treasure chest or cause the chest’s contents to automatically appear in your Pouch.
- If a certain event does not trigger when talking to Koltin after collecting all of the Bubbul Gems, downloading this update data will fix it so that the event triggers.
- Several other issues have been addressed to improve the gameplay experience.
And leave your thoughts on the update in general in the comments below, or on our Discord server!