Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon Secret Mission Guide
In Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, there are five secret missions in the game. Unlocked by capturing all the Boos in each of the game’s mansions, these missions have you run around an already completed mansion capturing a ‘random’ set of ghosts as far as possible. They’re basically ghost busting time trials.
But unbeknown to many FAQ/guide writers, these missions have a lot things going on than they imagine. So here’s a guide to the secret missions in Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, including things like what ghosts will spawn in every room, how the mission works and various other things of note. Enjoy!
Basic Mission Info
Each of these secret missions is basically a time trial run. You revisit each mansion, clear ‘random’ ghosts out of each room and get ranked based on how quickly you do it.
After clearing the first room of ghosts, two more rooms get filled with them. Then after clearing those, another three end up with ghosts in. You’ll notice this since the music speeds up at each of these points.
Here are some answers to some basic questions you may have about the secret missions in Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon.
Why does each room have three ghost lists?
Because each room has three possible sets of ghosts that may appear in it, and there’s no possible way to tell which set will show up.
So you can’t tell which set of ghosts will appear?
Nope. It’s not based on mission ‘phase’, I’ve had the exact same ghost combos show up at the start of the mission as at the end of it. It’s also not based on how many times you’ve cleared out a room, since I’ve had instances where I’ve revisited a room and had the same few ghosts reappear.
The three sets of ghosts aren’t equally common either, one or two seem to appear about 90% of the time whereas the other set is only encountered once in a blue moon.
Do all the ghosts appear at once?
No. For whatever reason, it’s random what order the ghosts appear in when it comes to room enemy combinations. So for one mission attempt you may have a Slammer and a Greenie appear instantly when you enter the room, and for another one the same Slammer and Greenie may only appear after some of the other ghosts are defeated. I’m not sure how the game chooses the order to spawn the different ghosts in.
Are the rooms picked randomly chosen?
Not quite. From what I can tell, the game tends to pick rooms that you can travel between fairly easily/quickly, as if some algorithm is working out which rooms can be visited/cleared by a normal player in the four/five/six-minute time limit.
However, the room order will always vary every time you play the mission, including if you choose to restart mid level.
How come not all rooms are listed?
Because not all rooms get infested with ghosts. In fact, these rooms never have ghosts in:
- Front Yard
- Forgotten Garden
- Any hallway/corridor
- Towers Entrance
- Secret Garden
- Hollow Tree
- Any lobby
- Any hallway/corridor
- Any stairwell
- Crow’s Nest
- Water Supply
- Clockworks Court
- Any corridor/hall/stairwell
- Storm Cellar
- Canyon/Ravine Narrows
- Pretty much any area in the ruins in general
- Any area in the right side of the mansion, such as the Service Elevator
- Front Entrance/Chalet Approach
- Far side of High Wires (near side can have ghosts)
- Workshop Landing
- Maintenance Room
- Slip Slope
- Pit Mine
- Deep Hall
- Coward’s Chasm
- Cinder Mine
- Crystal Quarry
- Absolute any area found in mission 1 (Bottom of Well, Cliffside, Guard Corridor, Ceremonial Chamber, Haunted Catacombs, Underground Lab, Dungeon Cells)
- Any Gallery room
- Grand East/Grand West
- Inner Courtyard
- Train Exhibit
- Outside of Nautical Exhibit
- Space Exhibit
Note that both upstairs corridors can and often will have ghosts in.
Does the time limit ever run out?
No. Besides, the time ticks up not down, it’s recording your fastest time overall.
Can I go wherever I want in these missions?
Yes. In fact, the other major benefit of playing these missions is that you can explore the whole mansion without having to worry about the obstacles or puzzles, meaning it’s the perfect time to find any missing gems you may have to collect.
It’s also the only time in the game in which you can explore the east side of the Old Clockworks as well as the rest of the building without leaving the mission.
Here are all the ghosts found in each room of each Secret Mission. They’re not technically random like some people online think, but there are an awful lot of factors that go into deciding what set of ghosts you get in each level set up.
Also, I will be adding to these lists as I record what ghosts appear. This is because some ghost combos seem to be much, much more common in these missions than others, and I tend to end up facing the same one or two enemy combos per room most of the time. So this isn’t quite a full list (it won’t be complete until I’ve recorded all three possible sets of ghosts for each room), but it should help some people know what’s ahead. And it’s trivia I guess.
So let’s begin.
Gloomy Manor – Gradual Infiltration
- 1 Greenie, 1 Greenie with Armour, 1 Hider
- 2 Greenies, 1 Greenie with Armour
- 1 Greenie, 1 Poltergeist/Boffin
Trivia: This is a rare occurrence of a Poltergeist/Boffin as a normal enemy rather than a mini boss.
- 1 Slammer, 1 Greenie with sunglasses, 1 Greenie
- 2 Slammers, 2 Greenies with sunglasses
- 2 Greenies, 1 Greenie with sunglasses, 1 Slammer
- 1 Greenie with Armour, 3 Greenies
- 2 Slammers, 2 Greenies with sunglasses, 1 Greenie
- 1 Greenie with sunglasses, 1 Slammer, 1 Greenie
- 1 Greenie with sunglasses, 2 Greenies, 1 Slammer
- 1 Slammer, 1 Greenie, 1 Hider
- 2 Greenies, 1 Hider
- 1 Slammer, 1 Greenie, 1 Hider
- 2 Hiders, 1 Slammer
- 2 Slammers, 1 Greenie
- 4 Greenies, 1 Slammer
- 1 Greenie, 1 Greenie with sunglasses, 1 Slammer
- 2 Slammers, 2 Greenies
- 1 Slammer, 3 Greenies
Take more than 5 minutes:
That’ll do Luigi! You weren’t exactly quick about it, but you caught ’em all. Anyhoo, let’s bring you back!
Take less than 5 minutes:
Excellent, Luigi! You got the lot of ’em! Nice and quick, too! The very definition of post-haste! Heh heh… Let’s bring you back!
Haunted Towers – Hostile Intrusion
- 2 Greenies with shovels, 1 slammer
- 1 Creeper, 1 Greenie with shovel, 2 Greenies
- 1 Creeper, 1 Greenie with shovel, 1 Greenie
- 1 Gobber, 1 Sneaker, 1 Greenie with Shovel
- 1 Gobber, 1 Creeper, 1 Greenie with shovel
Trivia: You can completely cheese the battle with this Gobber by attacking it from behind the wall to the left. This is because Gobbers cannot shoot projectiles through walls or solid objects.
- 2 Slammers, 1 Greenie with shovel
- 1 Slammer, 2 Greenies
- 1 Gobber, 1 Slammer, 2 Greenies
- 1 Gobber, 1 Greenie
- 1 Gobber, 1 Greenie with shovel
- 2 Creepers, 1 Hider
- 2 Hiders, 1 Creeper
- 1 Greenie, 1 Gobber
- 1 Gobber
- 1 Gobber, 1 Creeper
- 1 Greenie, 1 Greenie with shovel, 1 Creeper
Take less than 4 minutes:
Attaboy, Luigi! That’s the last of ’em. You really caught those ghosts quick! The Parascope could hardly keep up! You ready to come on back? Hold on.
Take more than 4 minutes:
That’s the last of ’em, Luigi! Hopefully you did it fast enough so we don’t get another event like this anytime soon. Come on back now.
Old Clockworks – Outlandish Interruption
- 3 Greenies, 1 Greenie with hammer and shield, 1 Sneaker
- 1 Greenie, 1 Greenie with hammer and shield, 1 Slammer
- 1 Greenie with shovel, 1 Greenie with welding mask, 1 Slammer, 1 Greenie
- 1 Greenie with shovel, 1 Sneaker, 1 Slammer
Clock Tower Gate
- 2 Greenies, 1 Mummy
- 2 Greenies, 1 Hider, 1 Greenie wearing glasses and fake nose, 1 Greenie with shield and hammer
- 1 Slammer, 1 Greenie with shield and hammer, 1 Greenie wearing glasses fake nose
- 4 Greenies, 2 Slammers
- 1 Greenie, 3 Slammers
- 5 Greenies
- 2 Slammers, 1 Greenie with hammer and shield, 1 Sneaker
- 1 Poltergeist, 1 Slammer
- 1 Poltergeist, 1 Greenie
Trivia: It seems all rooms with Poltergeist mini bosses have you face a normal Poltergeist/Boffin instead. This one replaces the Ancient Poltergeist/Boffin Elder from the main story.
- 1 Hider, 2 Greenies with sunglasses
- 2 Greenies with sunglasses, 2 Greenies, 1 Hider
- 2 Hiders, 1 Sneaker
- 2 Tornado Greenies, 1 Mummy
- 3 Greenies
Trivia: This is the only room in which a Mummy MIGHT appear as an enemy, but in which its appearance isn’t certain.
Took more than 5 minutes:
That’ll do, Luigi! I think that was the last one! Come on back now.
Took less than 5 minutes:
Great work, Luigi! You sent those ghosts packing, and very quickly, I should add! Let’s bring you back now.
Secret Mine – Severe Infestation
- 2 hockey Greenies, 3 Greenies
- 1 Strong Slammer, 2 hockey Greenies, 1 Greenie
- 1 hockey Greenie, 1 helmet Greenie, 1 Strong Greenie
- 2 hockey Greenies, 1 Greenie, 1 Strong Greenie, 1 helmet Greenie
- 1 Greenie with crystal, 1 helmet Greenie, 1 hockey Greenie
- 1 Greenie with crystal, 1 Greenie, 1 Strong Greenie
- 1 Greenie with crystal, 1 Greenie, 1 helmet Greenie
Under the Ice
- 1 Strong Slammer, 1 Greenie with crystal, 1 Greenie
- 1 Slammer, 2 Greenied with crystals
- 1 Slammer, 1 Strong Sneaker, 1 Greenie
- 1 Strong Sneaker, 2 Greenies
- 1 Greenie with helmet, 1 hockey Greenie, 1 Hider
- 1 Strong Sneaker, 2 Greenies
- 1 Strong Sneaker, 1 Sneaker, 1 Greenie
- 1 Strong Sneaker, 1 Strong Greenie, 1 Greenie
- 1 Strong Slammer, 1 Strong Greenie, 1 Greenie
Took more than 6 minutes:
All right, Luigi. You got ’em all. I could have done it a bit quicker myself, but at least you got the job done. Besides, I’m too old for this ghost-catching tomfoolery. Anyhoo, let’s bring you back.
Took under 6 minutes:
Whoa there, Luigi! You’re one lean, green, ghost-catching machine! Nice work. Sit tight and I’ll bring you back.
Treacherous Mansion – Terrifying Invasion
- 2 Sneakers, 1 Strong Greenie with spear
- 1 Sneaker, 1 Strong Greenie with spear, 1 Greenie
- 1 Slammer, 2 Sneakers, 1 Strong Greenie with spear
Dark Ages Exhibit
- 2 Strong Greenies with swords and shields, 1 Strong Slammer, 1 Sneaker
- 1 Strong Slammer, 1 Strong Greenie with sword and shield, 1 Slammer
- 1 Strong Sneaker, 2 Strong Greenies with swords and shields, 1 Greenie
- 2 Mummies, 1 Slammer, 1 Greenie
- 2 Mummies, 1 Slammer
- 1 Mummy, 1 Sneaker, 1 Slammer
Ice Age Exhibit
- 1 Greenie, 3 Greenies with diving helmets, 1 Sneaker
- 2 Greenies, 1 Greenie with diving helmet, 1 Sneaker
- 2 Greenies with diving helmets, 1 Sneaker
- 1 Strong Slammer, 1 Greenie, 1 Greenie with diving helmet
- 2 Hiders, 1 Strong Greenie with sunglasses, 1 Sneaker
- 1 Strong Slammer, 1 Strong Sneaker, 1 Greenie
- 1 Slammer, 2 Sneakers, 1 Strong Greenie
Trivia: This is the only room in the game which has no ‘real’ enemies (bar a Gold Greenie) in the main story but which still ends up infested with ghosts in the secret mission.
- 1 Strong Gobber
- 1 Strong Gobber, 1 Greenie
- 2 Mummies, 2 Greenies
Trivia: This is the only place you can find Mummies as enemies which doesn’t have sand and isn’t located on the ground floor.
- 2 Sneakers, 1 Strong Sneaker, 1 Greenie
Took more than 6 minutes:
Nice work, Luigi. You sure took your sweet time, but you’ve prevented a major catastrophe. Sit tight — I’m firing up the Pixeshifter.
Took less than 6 minutes
Amazing, Luigi! Simply amazing! You’re the finest ghost hunter I’ve ever laid eyes on! They didn’t even know what hit ’em! Sit tight – I’m firing up the Pixelshifter.
And that’s my Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon secret mission guide so far. It’s not 100% complete (I’m still missing quite a few rooms and ghost combinations), but it’s by far and large the most detailed walkthrough of its sort online in that it actually gives information about what enemies you’ll face rather than just saying it’s random.