New Wii U Update causes New Super Mario Bros U saves to be deleted?

As far as bugs and glitches go, the Wii U’s launch has not been a good one.  People hacking into Miiverse and finding debug menus and test data, Wii U consoles being bricked because the power went out during an update and random freezes causing all manner of problems for unlucky Nintendo fans, it’s been an absolute disaster on the glitch front so far.

But now it looks like things may have gotten even worse.  A new Wii U update has caused another, extremely serious issue; deleting New Super Mario Bros U save files!  Yes, the minute a Nintendo Everything reader updated his Wii U, all his New Super Mario Bros U save file was wiped out in one foul swoop. Worse still, it’s not just New Super Mario Bros, the exact same thing also happened to someone else’s ZombiU save data!

Admittedly, a couple of examples isn’t quite perfect proof of a possibly game breaking bug caused by the latest update.  For all we know it could be one of those unexplained freak coincidences like how old Game Boy game save data randomly vanished due to the battery.  But with the Wii U’s current record, things aren’t looking good.

Watch out New Super Mario Bros U players, it seems your save data could be at risk!

Source:

Some New Super Mario Bros U Players seeing Saves Deleted – Nintendo Everything

Liveblog

Notify of
guest
7 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
ToadetteFan9
ToadetteFan9
8 years ago

I’m lucky I don’t have this game yet.

Howie
Howie
8 years ago

Come on nintendo lift your game. this isnt how you normally do things…

CoffeeWithGames
8 years ago

I always consider the source, and being that we don’t have more than one person verifying this, I would say it’s false until you can get a handful of people confirming it that have established accounts.

Nintendo Everything has credibility for doing nothing of use, unless you count helping put Nintendo Power out of business as something of credibility IMO.

Jae
Jae
8 years ago

My Mario U save is just intact and perfectly normal after the update. Just because it happened to some people it doesn’t mean it’s the norm.

Freddy
Freddy
8 years ago

The wii U is in fact very glitchy. there are record-skipping style audio loops that get progressively worse in both jeopardy and wheel of fortune. Also my mario file will have to be erased and started over since a glitch caused by game over / continuing made it impossible to get past the picasso-looking level to the castle that is just past the graveyard. We beat it twice and a road opened, but after the save the game failed to play the overview / bowser-ship-castle sequence and a different road opened instead that makes a loop back to the same… Read more »

Jeff
Jeff
8 years ago

I bought my wife a Wii U, and every time so far (about 20 times) her Mario game doesn’t save in the right places and keeps setting her back a days worth, why is this? I’m super mad at Nintendo right about now.

Joe Skinner
Joe Skinner
7 years ago

This just happened to me, what a joke 3 months worth of progress for me my wife and my daughter down the damn drain.