Mario Kart 7; Britain’s Fastest Family (PR Message)
You’ve probably heard about this competition Nintendo is holding where the best two family members who enter get to win a real car by getting the quickest times in time trial. But in case you haven’t, Nintendo UK gave me this message about the event explaining what it’s all about:
Mario Kart 7: Are you part of Britain’s Fastest Family?
Since Mario Kart 7 arrived on the Nintendo 3DS in December 2011, many will have challenged their family members to a race for the chequered flag. Now, Nintendo is asking those same gamers to instead team up with their closest kin – to show they can take on the rest of the country.
We want to find Britain’s Fastest Family and are holding regional heats across the UK for those who think they and their mum, dad or even grandma have truly mastered the art of the Mario Kart games and have what it takes to prove it on a Nintendo 3DS console.
This Nintendo 3DS racing extravaganza also comes with some amazing prizes for the swiftest teams past the post. Those who manage to come out at the very top of the competition – having proved themselves in the Regional Heats and Grand Final – will walk (or should we say drive) away in a stunning new Honda Jazz Si. This sporty little 1.4-litre i-VTEC car has all the fun of a real-life Mario Kart motor, but comes with a little extra comfort, space, versatility and style thrown to make it an ideal family runabout. Not only that, but the champion team will also get their own limited edition trophy to prove yours is the fastest family on the Mario Kart 7 circuit and the teams that do best in their regional contests will receive a years’ worth of Nintendo 3DS games.
Entry to the competition is absolutely free and you can submit your time at any of the Regional Heats. Your team will need to consist of two members (one of which must be over the age of 18) and there should be a minimum age gap of 10 years between the two team members. In addition, you’ll need to be a resident of Great Britain. Apart from that though, all you’ll need is the skills to show you can handle the fast-paced kart racing of Mario Kart 7 – on the big stage!
Mario Kart 7 is just one of the Mario games that have entertained people of all ages and Nintendo platforms for years now. Having emerged on the Super Nintendo in the UK back in 1993, it has since appeared on the Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo GameCube, Wii and DS. This latest incarnation for 3DS offers the usual frenetic fun across the landscapes of the Mushroom Kingdom, with the added extra features that only come with the handheld 3DS console. This includes dazzling 3D visuals, StreetPass and SpotPass enhancement and a range of new courses and characters to enjoy.
You can find out more about the Britain’s Fastest Family tournament as well as the locations of the latest regional heats by visiting this website. Then it’s just a case of getting some lap practice in and picking a family teammate to join you!
This is a pretty great deal if you ask me. Win a whole years worth of games and a free car for doing well at Mario Kart 7? That’s great, especially with all the awesome games coming out this year! It means you get games like Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, New Super Mario Bros 2 (presumably), Paper Mario Sticker Star, Epic Mickey Power of Illusion, etc for absolutely nothing!
Unfortunately, there is one catch. Namely you had a family member who’s also good enough to win the competition, and the age difference between both parties should be at least ten years. You also need to be a British citizen to enter, but that’s not exactly unexpected and makes perfect sense for both prize distribution and legal reasons.
And finally, the entry dates for the regional heats are below, due to the fact it doesn’t seem to be stated on the website:
- HMV TROCADERO: 17 Aug – 18 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV OXFORD CIRCUS: 24 Aug – 25 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV CROYDON: 3 Aug – 4 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV KINGSTON: 17 Aug – 18 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV BRIGHTON CHURCHILL: 24 Aug – 25 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV CANTERBURY: 10 Aug – 11 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV GUILDFORD: 10 Aug – 11 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV BASINGSTOKE: 17 Aug – 18 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV READING ORACLE: 3 Aug – 4 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV SOUTHAMPTON: 10 Aug – 11 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV BRISTOL CRIBBS: 17 Aug – 18 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV CARDIFF RESITE: 3 Aug – 4 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV SWANSEA: 10 Aug – 11 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV EXETER PRINCESSHAY: 24 Aug – 25 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV PLYMOUTH DRAKE CIRCUS: 3 Aug – 4 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV OXFORD: 24 Aug – 25 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV MILTON KEYNES: 17 Aug – 18 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV BIRMINGHAM BULLRING: 24 Aug – 25 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV NOTTINGHAM VICTORIA RESITE: 17 Aug – 18 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV DERBY: 10 Aug – 11 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV SHEFFIELD MEADOWHALL: 3 Aug – 4 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV MANCHESTER 90 MKT STREET: 17 Aug – 18 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV LEEDS HEADROW CENTRE: 10 Aug – 11 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV NEWCASTLE: 24 Aug – 25 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV GATESHEAD: 3 Aug – 4 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV EDINBURGH PRINCES ST: 17 Aug – 18 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV GLASGOW BUCHANAN ST: 10 Aug – 11 Aug 10am – 5pm
- HMV ABERDEEN: 3 Aug – 4 Aug 10am – 5pm
And the final is apparently taking place in October, in Birmingham.
So start your engines racing game and Mario Kart fans, your Mario Kart skills could give you the chance of winning a free car and a whole year’s worth of 3DS games with Nintendo’s latest tournament!
Edit: This article has been edited as of June 2013 to fix all broken links. Sorry about any inconveniance that may have occurred beforehand.