I Finally beat Mario & Luigi Dream Team in Hard Mode!
Yes, it’s finally happened. ‘I’ve finally defeated the final boss in the hard mode of this game and saw the changes made to the ending by me doing so. Want to know what you get? What changes? What it was like? Well read on, and don’t say I didn’t want you there’d be spoilers!
What was different?
Apart from two ending pictures (one of which is shown below), here are the changes I noticed:
- Damage was multipled by seven or (damage by enemies at least)
- Items were restricted to ten of each
- You went back to the title screen if you died
- Robo Drilldigger sent out two tornadoes at a time instead of one
- He also fired more missiles
- Earthwake used his hammer attack more often and swung about ten times per round
- Zeekeeper… was different, although I can’t remember quite how
- Giant Bowser didn’t use his meat attack in phase 2
- His attacks all took off a third of Luigi’s health bar per hit
- The fireball pattern used at the end of Star Driver was different to normal mode, with a homing fireball being the first shot and the later ones curving
- Hard was displayed next to the file number/info
The Prize for Winning
As far as unlockables go, you don’t get anything for beating Hard Mode, at least per se. Instead, you get a few new ending screens showing the cast looking all happy, including the ultimate cast group shot. Here the’s group shot (spoilers obviously):
As you can see, it contains literally 99% of the game’s cast in one big picture! You can see:
- Princess Peach
- Elite Trio
- Broque Madame
- Broque Monsieur
- The Zeekeeper
- Dreamy Mount Pajamaja
- Those sea horse/dream genies
- Big Massif
- Lil Massif
- The Beef Off mini bosses
- Robo Drilldigger
- Different types of Pi’illos
- Professor Snoozemore
- The Pi’illo Collector
- The Dream Stone Soul
- and Kylie Koopa
Yeah, pretty cool image isn’t it? There’s also another one with Bowser and his troops surrounded by falling money and celebrating. Here it is:
Again, it looks fantastic. Got to love the character’s expressions and everything here!
How was it in general?
It wasn’t too bad to be honest. Yeah the enemies did a lot more damage, but it never really got to the point you were likely to die constantly outside of a couple of the end boss battles, the giant boss battles and the intro.
Talking of giant battles, those were a bit of a different story. Way, way too damn hard in this mode. I mean, the last one literally could kill you in three hits. Considering that the airship attack there was equivalent to at least two, that meant his later attacks could seriously kill you before you could move.
Generally though, Mario & Luigi Dream Team’s hard mode wasn’t that much more of a challenge than the normal mode. I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to play the game. Are you interested in playing Hard Mode when you get Mario & Luigi Dream Team?